Sunday 13 May 2018

Bad Arm Day

I'm paying today for working hard yesterday. My arms are very weak, especially my right arm, the one I use the most. Thankfully, typing allows me to rest my wrists on the table, using only my hands, shaky as they may be. It happens a lot these days, that I tire out my arms and they stop working.

It happened yesterday after I did some grocery shopping. I was holding onto the groceries, including a five pound bag of potatoes, with my left hand, while the bags rested on my lap. I had forgotten the basket David gave to me for just this purpose. By the time I got home, my left arm was so tired that it simply dropped to my side when released from its task, and I could not lift it at all. It just hung there, dead as my legs. Fortunately after a rest of a few minutes, it came back to life; I was able to use it again, but only for light work.

My arms are failing faster than I had hoped, more than I had hoped. At this rate I will be armless in a few months, maybe sooner. I sure hope not; I want to be around for Christmas. This whole arm thing is one of those lines in the sand. Without arms I cannot feed myself. I don't want a feeding tube, so I either have to crumble on that line, or I stop eating, allowing the inevitable to take place, perhaps even helping it along.

We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment