Monday 7 May 2018

Laying Blame

It's been difficult for me to get up the energy to write today. I've been tired, more than normal ALS tired, over the last few days. I've slept heavily for long hours, some in bed, some in my chair. I've made limited moves to activity, the greatest being my move to go with David to Canmore on Saturday. There was the movie yesterday with Tonny too.

Someone once said I couldn't blame everything on ALS. Of course I can. I can do anything I want. It doesn't make it true though. On the other hand, statistically more of what ails me these days is ALS related than anything else, even my exhaustion. It just takes more out of me to do any single thing. I am finding that one afternoon of activity can require two or three days for recovery. It just takes longer. Nothing is easy. Nothing is fast.

I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I want to get out for a bit, perhaps to get those shirts I am searching for, perhaps to get something to go with the ham I am making for dinner. I have guests coming over, so if I can get that ham into the oven, they can surely take it out. I have to make plans like that these days, since my picking up strength has diminished so much over the last weeks and months.

It all wears on me, taking its toll. I've started looking for a decent electric toothbrush, something I have never owned in my life. My arms get too weary from brushing my teeth. I'm looking for an electric corkscrew. My arms are getting too weak to pull the cork from a wine bottle. I need more these days to make my life work such that I am not exhausted from ALS all the time. You might think an electric toothbrush is a nice thing to have; I don't. I don't. You might think an electric corkscrew is a cool little gadget; I don't. I blame it on ALS. I get to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment