Tuesday 22 May 2018

The Garden Is In

The garden is in. David took me plant shopping yesterday. Then Elizabeth and Andrea came over to do all the planting, with David doing all the fetching. Then they all cleaned up as much as they could before exhaustion set in; mine, not theirs. Finally, Kathy, my HCA, swept up the last of the detritus from all the work, leaving me with a beautiful place to sit in the sun, doing whatever I might be yet able to do.

One might wonder why this is such a big deal to me, especially if you new me "before". Even for the first few years with ALS I didn't bother too much about my balcony. In fact, for the first few years it was almost a forlorn, unattended place. Yet last summer I spent $300 for planters, accessories, and plants. This year it was only $150 for plants, as I had all the planters and such. That's a lot of money for someone on limited resources.

Anne said it best the other day. Up until last year, I spent limited time on that balcony. My summers were for travel, first on my own, then with travel partners. Last year my limitations, both financially and personally, put an end to the summer travel. I am at home a lot more these days, spending a lot more time within the four walls of my apartment.

While my home has become increasingly a medical prison, it need not look sterile and plain. I'll find a way to cover that money. Like last year, people will help. I'll take it easy on rum and Scotch. Who knows what else might happen? Good things do. What the garden on my balcony means is that I get to sit in this infinitesimally small part of the universe, surrounded by beauty, fragrance, life. It's worth it. Thanks to all who helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment